World number four Rafael Nadal has declared his 21st career victory over Novak Djokovic as 'special'.

Nadal outlasted his old rival 6-4 3-6 7-6 (7-2) in the semi-finals of the Rogers Cup on Saturday in a match lasting almost two and a half hours.

The win was Nadal's first victory over Djokovic on a hard court since 2010, and the 27-year-old Spaniard said he was delighted to get past the world number one.

"It was just amazing the match tonight," Nadal said.
"We played a very high level for a lot of moments. To win against Novak on any surface is very special but here in Montreal a bit more.

"The match was on the limit all the time for me and hopefully for him too. So I think we tried our
best in every moment, we were playing very aggressive and the court is quick.
"The crowd here is great and the atmosphere around is one of the best in the world, I am enjoying playing in Montreal."

Awaiting Nadal in Sunday's final is 22-year-old Canadian Milos Raonic, who defeated compatriot Vasek Pospisil in the other semi.
Raonic's victory moved him into the world's top 10, making him the first Canadian to reach that level and he was delighted with the achievement.

"I think the top 10 one stands out definitely more just because it's a goal that I set out this year," Raonic said.
"To be able to do it here in Montreal is pretty amazing.
"For me it's a very special day to at least get to a goal I set for myself earlier this year, which looked a little bit difficult after how I played recently.

"But to do it here in Montreal, it's a relief and it's a happy feeling."

Post A Comment:

0 comments:

Give your comment.